Viewed 358 times
New Sydney Metro - Western Sydney Airport line takes off
Major works are set to commence on the new Sydney Metro – Western Sydney Airport metro line after a $1.8 billion contract was awarded to CPB Contractors and Ghella to build the new twin metro rail tunnels.
The first of four mega tunnel boring machines will be in the ground by early 2023 to deliver 9.8 kilometres of twin metro rail tunnels in two sections, under the first major contract to be awarded as part of the project.
The driverless 23-kilometre metro line will link St Marys to the centre of the new Aerotropolis via the new Western Sydney International (Nancy-Bird Walton) Airport, with six stations to be built along the alignment.
Federal Minister for Urban Infrastructure and Cities, Paul Fletcher; NSW Minister for Transport, David Elliott and NSW Minister for Western Sydney, Stuart Ayres today marked the major milestone at the site of the future Aerotropolis Station, where major construction will soon start.
The Station Boxes and Tunnelling contract includes:
- 9.8 kilometres of twin rail tunnels in two sections. The 4.3-kilometre northern tunnels run from St Marys to Orchard Hills and the 5.5-kilometre southern section of tunnels runs between the Airport Business Park and the Aerotropolis Station;
- Excavation and civil works for new stations at St Marys, Orchard Hills, Western Sydney International (Nancy-Bird Walton) Airport, and Aerotropolis;
- Four hard rock Tunnel Boring Machines (TBM);
- Building one of the two temporary precast concrete factories for the project on the Western Sydney International site;
- More than 67,000 concrete segments to line the twin tunnels;
- Two TBM launch sites at Orchard Hills and Western Sydney International and two TBM retrieval sites at St Marys and Aerotropolis Station.
Once the tunnelling contract is complete in late 2024, work will continue to lay tracks and fit out stations.
The Australian and NSW governments are joint funding the Sydney Metro – Western Sydney Airport metro line project on a 50:50 basis.
Quotes attributable to the Federal Minister for Communications, Urban Infrastructure, Cities and the Arts, the Hon Paul Fletcher MP:
“Today’s announcement marks a significant milestone in the delivery of this transformational transport project, which will connect communities and passengers to the new Western Sydney International (Nancy-Bird Walton) Airport and surrounding Aerotropolis.
“We’re getting on with the job of delivering transformational infrastructure projects across Western Sydney that boost economic growth, support local jobs and enhance the liveability of the region.”
Quotes attributable to NSW Minister for Transport and Veterans and State Member for Baulkham Hills the Hon David Elliott MP:
“This new city-shaping infrastructure will be a major boost for Greater Western Sydney - becoming the transport spine for this growing region.
“This region is transforming before our eyes, with substantial government investment helping our collective vision for the Western Sydney Parkland City to take shape and deliver a liveable, sustainable and innovative place to live for years to come.”
Quotes attributable to NSW Minister for Jobs, Investment, Tourism and Western Sydney,
Minister for Trade and Industry, and State Member for Penrith the Hon Stuart Ayres MP:
“The new Sydney Metro – Western Sydney Airport metro line will support 14,000 direct new jobs and drive major economic stimulus for Western Sydney.
“The tunnelling contract will require a broad range of skills including specialist tunnellers, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, concrete workers, truck drivers, labourers and security guards.”